Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Change it up with HIIT

High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
HIIT is an enhanced form of interval training, an exercise strategy alternating periods of short intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. HIIT is a form of cardio. HIIT sessions may vary from 4–30 minutes. These short, intense workouts provide improved athletic capacity and condition,, improved metabolism and improved fat burning.

Yes, that was from Wikipedia.

I personally use HIIT techniques up to twice per week.  More than 2x would be counter productive for what I am trying to achieve and would also open me up for a higher chance of injury from lifting and exercise.  

The HIIT program that I put into place has replaced my regular daily routine with the same exercises but simply added a stopwatch to it.  HIIT that I perform, uses a 20 x 10 stopwatch.  That boils down to set your timer for 20 seconds or download an app like "Caynax HIIT" (android) and use their timers.  

Get ready to workout like never before because this will have you short of breath and sweating in no time.
Start your first 20 seconds, you push yourself harder and faster than you have ever done. Lift at a high rate of speed, or if you are on the bicycle, petal as fast as you possibly can (Safely) for the 20 seconds.  At the end of the 20 seconds there is a 10 second recovery or rest mode. If you are on the bike or treadmill, keep going but at a slow or normal rate of speed for the 10 second rest time.  Repeat, repeat, repeat!!!

I usually run through my whole routine that consists of around 8 exercises plus the bike and do each one 3 times. This takes place of my 40 minute lifting routine and one 15 minute session on the bike.

I have found this to help my progress in getting faster results and burn more fat in a shorter period of time.
Think Safety!!   Always ask for assistance if you have question about training techniques, activities or routines.

Before starting a workout of this caliber (or any other), you may want to consult with your doctor, trainer or professional HIIT consultant.  These are my results and I am sharing them with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment